The Andria Theatre (Alexandria Area Arts Association) has been a part of the Alexandria’s downtown scenery since 1936. A spire was part of the original building back in 1936. However, a storm blew it down back in 1974 and was never replaced. Nearly 43 years later, a new Andria spire was set in place, and Indigo Signworks was proud to be a part of it.
In 2013, Ringdahl Architects contacted Indigo Signworks to discuss renovating the theater’s signage. After carefully studying a photograph of the building from the 1950’s, Indigo accepted the challenge. The association worked hard raising contributions for restoring the visual impact that Andria Theatre once had.
The first step was the front overhang; it was repaired back in 2014 with a new rubber membrane roof. Over the next couple of years, enough money was finally raised to get the “ANDRIA” spire, which was installed this past Spring. Not only does it bring back the Alexandria Area Arts Association building’s historic past as a movie theater, it also adds a new attraction to the downtown area.
The renovations are not done yet either. The association is still working hard to raise money to update the existing illuminated cabinets with their new brand to bring it all together with updated L.E.D. technology.